The SSFL Work Group Returns – February 5
CBG has been a member of the SSFL Work Group panel for over 20 years. The Work Group met quarterly as the primary way of keeping the public informed about efforts to clean up the contamination at SSFL, after decades of rocket testing and nuclear reactor development, including a partial nuclear meltdown.
In 2012, the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) discontinued the meetings, despite receiving a petition signed by over 200 people to re-instate the SSFL Work Group.
But with dedicated community efforts, and support from Congresswoman Julia Brownley and State Senator Fran Pavley, the Work Group will resume.
The February 5 meeting will include:
- A short film about the 1959 partial nuclear meltdown
- A description other SSFL radioactive accidents and spills
- Findings from the recent EPA study of radioactive contamination
- Details about the toxic chemical contamination from rocket testing
- Status of carrying out cleanup agreements
- Exceedances of pollution standards in water leaving the site
- Compensation program for ill former workers & their families
For more information, visit the SSFL Work Group website and sign up to be on its mailing list to be notified of future Work Group meetings.